Sunday, October 14, 2012

Scrambled Brains: Genetic Ethnicity Part II

So, the above is my mom's DNA from ancestry.com

I was surprised at the 62% Central European, and really surprised at the 8% Scandinavian. The high percentage of Central European surprised me because I really thought it would be higher on my dad's side of the tree, with his line being traced back to Central Europe/Germany on paper to the 1500's and even some references to our family name back as far as the 1100's. It never occurred to me that my mom may have more Central European in her than my dad, and possibly then, my dad would have more British isles than Central European.

But it is the 8% Scandinavian that has really thrown me for a loop, because if you remember my DNA, here, then you will remember that I have NO Scandinavian ethnicity in mine. So my seemingly ignorant knowledge of DNA was shipwrecked instantly. If my mom is 8% shouldn't I be 4%? That is what I thought anyway.. then someone said this to me, "Well, can't you comprise your mom's 50% contribution to your DNA from her remaining 92%?" and the implications hit me right between the eyes. Wait a minute, your saying the 50% my mom contributes to my ethnic makeup can be 50% of whatever, say for example, 50% of just Central European, and not 50% of all her ethnicities? What? Can this be true? I have no idea, but now I know that my knowledge of DNA is is just crap.

This would also mean that, even though my sister and I, (or my mom and her sisters) would have similar DNA in the sense that you could tell we were siblings, our Ethnicity wouldn't be 100% exactly the same. My sister could get some of the Scandinavian DNA that I don't have, for example.

However, even if I don't know the exact numbers or percentages, it would look like that I received the majority of my Central European DNA from my mom's 62% and possibly the majority of my British Isles DNA from my Dad. This of course, is exactly opposite of what I thought going into this.

My brain is scrambled now.

No comments:

Post a Comment